History/Timeline

1834 Racine is founded

1848 Racine incorporated as a city

1857 Porters Furniture founded

1880 Wind Point Lighthouse constructed

1886 Johnson Wax founded

1900 RP Rasmussen founds Rasmussen Jewelry at 910 State Street

1907 Western Publishing founded

1927 EC Styberg Engineering founded

1931 New Post office, Court House and City Hall constructed (Current buildings)

1933 John Dillinger and his gang rob the American Bank & Trust at Main & 5th Street

1936 Kilties Drum and Bugle Corps first performance is in the July 4th Parade

1943 Statue of Abraham and Mary Lincoln is dedicated (the first statue in the US of a President and his wife)

1948 Racine celebrates is Centennial as a city 1848-1948

1951 General MacArthur visits Racine

1957 First McDonalds opens at 21st and Lathrop (still located there)

1968 Rasmussen Jewelry moves to 3119 Washington Avenue and brings the 67 year old case and woodwork to its new location

1975 First Salmon-a-Rama is held on Lake Michigan

1977 Cal & Marilyn Sustachek purchase Rasmussen Jewelry from Frank Rasmussen (RP Rasmussen’s son)

1981 Regency Mall opens

1984 Racine Celebrates the Sesquicentennial of it’s founding (150th Anniversary)

1988 William & Kathleen Sustachek purchase Rasmussen Jewelry from William’s Parents Cal and Marilyn.

1994 Rasmussen Jewelry changes its name to Rasmussen Diamonds

1998 Rasmussen Diamonds moves 2 miles west to its new location at 6220 Washington Ave (and brings the original cases and woodwork)

2000 Rasmussen Diamonds Celebrates is Centennial